RYA Recognised Training Centre & RYA Pathway Club
Policies, Processes and Procedures
Principal: John Lewis
Training & Administration Officer: Sheela Lewis
- RTC Operating Procedures- Download
- RTC Risk Assessment Download
- RTC H&S Policy Download
- RTC Syllabus covered at CAYC Download
- RTC SRC Pre-course Learning Download
- RTC Housekeeping & Safety Checklist Download
- RTC H&S Policy Re-fueling Appendix A Download
- RTC Quick Risk Daily Assessment Form Download
- RTC Safety_Incident Checklist Download
- RTC_CAYC Emergency Plan / Major Incident Download
- CAYC Accident Report Form Download
- CAYC Safety Boat Guidance Download
- CAYC Safety Boat Check List Download
- CAYC Guidance on recruitment Download
- CAYC Safeguarding Policy & Procedures Download
- CAYC Data Protection Policy Download
- Good Practice for Coaches & Volunteers Download
- RTC_CAYC Feedback or Complaints Form Download
- RYA Keeping Current Training Notes & Ghttps://www.rya.org.uk/club-centre-support/training Updates or changes to RYA requirements for training centres, instructors and courses are issued at this link.
This full RTC Guidance reviewed August 2022 and republished September 2022
Overview of RTC Structure
County Antrim Yacht Club is affiliated to the RYA and has been operating as a RTC for over 30 years with a successful record of training activities. Each year approx. 3-4 weeks of summer Youth Sailing Schemes take place offering places to 40+ children from 8 yrs upwards. National Sailing Schemes are also scheduled across evenings and weekends facilitating sail training for approx. 6-9 Adults. With investment into developing sailing skills to racing skills the Club was awarded RYA Champion Club status and we now have a strong team of L2 Race Coaches delivering race training across 8-10 weekends throughout March, April, May & June. This is generally aimed towards juniors at stage 3/4 with a few years of sailing experience. 2018 the Club was re-accreditation as a Pathway Club.
The Club owns 7 x Toppers (4 of which were awarded by JMST Scheme). The most recent JMST Topper was directly awarded to a Club Sailor for a period of two years (ending in Nov 2022) and two other JMST Toppers had subsequently been loaned for a further year to members for their exclusive use. The oldest JMST is used within the training and development areas with three other older dinghies. These were extensively refurbished in 2022.
The Club has the following double-handers: 2 x Picos, 2 x RS Visions, 1 x GP14, 2 x RS Feva that facilitate non boat owners to take part in sailing and racing activities at the Club. In 2016 the Club added the two RS Visions to the Fleet and sold off two very old GP14s. 2019 the RTC was updated to include RYA First Aid and Marine Radio (SRC) courses. 2020 we added RYA Safe & Fun online training.
Powerboat L1/L2 and Safety Boat courses are run each year, usually facilitating at least 6-9 members in this area. Our difficulty is the measure of our success in sailing in that finding a weekend to complete the course is difficult as the RIBs are often in use! We are now targeting this training early or late in the season. We also secured a 4th RIB for the Club in 2015. Engines are refreshed every few years to ensure all resources are operating at peak efficiency. 2022, a new Blue Humber replaced the oldest blue Humber and a new Mercury engine purchased. The oldest Avon was replaced with a 2nd hand Avon.
To support all of these activities the Club also promotes the ongoing training requirements for First Aid, Club Race Officers, Rules awareness and Safeguarding Child Protection. This governance is also provided by our Clubmark accreditation awarded by SportNI. Re-validated in June 2020 prior to SportNI removing the accreditation.
Safety / First Aid for Parents & Guardians
All courses require students to complete a Medical / Consent form as part of the registration process.
If your child suffers a concussion on a course or outside of the course, it is vitally important that you keep all people/organisations with responsibility for caring for your child informed so that they are aware of the potential dangers and any restrictions that may apply to the activities your child is permitted to do. The 'Recognise and Remove' leaflet produced by the Department of Education and the Department of Culture, Arts and Leisure is available on the Department of Education's website http://www.deni.gov.uk and provides guidance on the signs to look out for. Link to Leaflet :Recognise and Remove'
Keeping everyone informed about concussion is in your child's best interests and parents/guardians have a key role in making sure that information is passed on to their sports coach, youth leader or other care provider.
Senior Instructor (9): John Lewis, Colin de Fleury (Keelboat endorsed), Steffi Lewis, Jocelyn Hill, Richard Robinson (Keelboat endorsed), Ellen McCarlie, James Corbett, Kate Delaney and Michael Rock.
Dinghy Instructors (7): Emily Hill, Taylor Black, Ellen Barbour, Michael Rock, Daniel Corbett, Newly Qualified in 2022 - Jenna Reid and Holly McConnell. External DI from EABC - Joshua Kane assisted in 2022/ Louise Leonard- CSC
(Jenny Lewis (First aid required), Henry Cavan, Timmy Robinson) lapsed.
Level 2 Race Coaches (11): Sheela Lewis, John Lewis, Jocelyn Hill, Rory McKenna, Ben Ferris, Ellen McCarlie, James Corbett, Daniel Corbett, Michael Rock, Jenna Reid and Holly McConnell. (First Aid required for Gavin Pollard, Scott Carse, Andrew Mitchell)
Powerboat Instructors (8): John Lewis, Colin de Fleury, Rory McKenna, Richard Robinson, Simon Exley, Sheela Lewis, Kate Delaney and Heather Foster-Sharpe.
First Aid Instructors (1) Simon Exley
SRC /VHF: Richard Robinson & Assessor : Simon Exley
Assistant Instructors (6): Caitlin MacManus, Rory Pollard, Olivia Delaney, Luke Simpson, Calum Pollard and Alita Taylor
External resources: Senior Instructor & Powerboat Instructor : Graham Moucka / FAI - Jane Conradie
Website Address: www.rya.org.uk/clubs
Club Zone: County Antrim Yacht Club / 370291
- CAYC Safety_Incident Checklist.pdf
- CAYC RTC Syllabus 2022-23.pdf
- RTC H&S Policy 2022-23 v1.pdf
- CAYC Club & RTC Operating procedures 2022 v1 upload.pdf
- Risk Assessment - Club_ RTC Sept2022.pdf
- Risk Assessment Daily Session (Sail_Kayak).pdf
- RTC H&S Policy V1 - Fueling Appendix A.pdf
- 11. RYA Safer Recruitment Guidance.pdf
- CAYC Accident Report Form v4.pdf
- CAYC Emergency Response Plan V2 2022-2023.pdf
Last updated 16:23 on 15 September 2023