Family Friendly Friday
FRIDAY NIGHT SUPERVISED SAILING AND OTHER ON THE WATER SESSIONS FOR ALL THE FAMILY
This summer season from approximately July to the end of August, the Club offers sessions on the water for juniors and adults for fun / leisure sailing sessions.
(N.B.) Kayakers may make their own individual arrangements and risk assessments on their choice to paddle. This activity cannot be currently promoted as a group session organised by the Club Committees until we have a qualified Leader under CANI regulations.
A Rota is confirmed for Friday evenings, with a safety boat manned by Club Dinghy and Assistant Instructors and volunteers.
The aim is to get out on the water by 6:30pm - 6:45 pm and return to shore between 7:30 - 8:00 pm. All activities, Club Boats, Owners and RIBs tidied away correctly.
These are basic confidence building sessions for everyone, in particular those who have completed RYA courses during the year and are Stage 1-2 as a minimum.
Please keep an eye on Club newsletters and the Members Facebook Page for updates on dates and weather conditions which may prohibit sailing.
There are a few guidelines around this activity as this is not a formal RYA course.
- All participants must respect Club resources, whilst on the water and back on shore.
- Care not to damage kit by incorrect use or inappropriate actions whilst launching and returning to shore.
- Ensure they fold or roll sails, checking everything is in the boat and the cover secured.
- Participants must have completed a general registration form for the sailing season at the Club which covers Friendly Fridays.
- This ensures Committee Members, Race Officers, and Safety Boat personnel can check skills levels and are aware of any relevant medical conditions.
- All parental assistance on shore is welcomed. Also, no children may be left unattended at this Friday night session as this is not a RYA/Club course.
Parents must remain at the Club whilst their children are taking part in these open sessions, or have agreed responsibilities with another parent prior to the activity. Please ensure the volunteers in charge are aware of the arrangements.
- A parent who also goes on the water with their child is fully responsible for this child. When the Child returns to shore so must the parent if no other parent is onshore to supervise the child.
- All children must be Club members and have taken part in at least one RYA Youth Sailing Scheme at CAYC or provide evidence of training else where. In-experienced children must be on the water under adult supervision.
- Anyone manning a RIB or assisting the driver of the RIB must be a member or an associate member (Powerboat L2 certification required - RYA Safety boat Cert desirable).
- All Boats borrowed from the Club must be booked and checked pre and post sailing. Link to Following the Borrowing Boats procedure.
The Club has limited dinghy resources, therefore children will need to take turns in helming and sharing the club dinghies if not using their own: 5 x Optimists, 2 x Toppers (both have the smaller 4.2 sails available), 1 x PICOs, 1 x RS Feva, 2 x RS Visions. Other Club Boats are already assigned to members for the season.
Parents / Adults / youth with appropriate sailing experience may wish to utilise one of the 2 x RS Visions or the GP14(if available at the Club)
As expected on courses participants must be appropriately dressed for all weather conditions and have a well fitted buoyancy aid.
Last updated 14:36 on 13 June 2021