A History of County Antrim Yacht Club
25 October 1902
- Formation of Club at John Wylie’s residence
- Robert Todd, William Craig, Robert Auld Snr, Robert Auld Jnr, John Wylie (1st Captain), H.E. Wylie and A Wylie
- Decision taken to form Whitehead Sailing Club
- Decided to call a public meeting on Thursday 30th October to draw up rules and appoint Office Bearers – Members to be enrolled.
30 October 1902
- Meeting held in Victoria Café
- Object of the Club – To encourage and promote amateur sailing
- Half model of the Waverley on display (now mounted on the current fireplace)
- No entrance fee, but fees due from 1/1/1903 – 10 shillings
- John Wylie – Captain (designed the Waverley)
- Robert G Todd – Second Officer (presented the Todd Cup)
- Decision taken to use the amended RNIYC rules
21 November 1902
- First General Meeting to discuss and sanction rules
- Burgee to be Red with a White W (copy currently on display in the General Room)
- First Sailing Committee formed
- Starting House situated to the West of the Cable House (cable ran from Whitehead to Portpatrick – removed in 1951)
16 May 1903
- First Club House opened
- Waverleys to sail at 7.00 p.m. on Wednesdays and 3.30 p.m. on Saturdays
Concerts to be held in July and August to raise funds for the Club
First Regatta held 22 August 1903
Auld Challenge Cup sailed for at Whitehead Annual Regatta by Whitehead One Design Class – Boat winning cup twice to become the owner
First Ladies Race for the Duff Challenge Cup presented by James Duff of Blackhead
New class – Insect Class were considered
Annual General Meeting held at Victoria Café due to extra room required. Spring and Autumn AGM’s held
Hailcock Rock – proposal to drill a hole 12 inches deep x 2 ½ inches in diameter to erect a post – this was left to the Property Committee and the cost was not to exceed 10 shillings
Morrow Cup presented for the Insect Class and if won twice to be kept by the boat owner
Proposal for first Club Dance to be held in winter 1906. Dances were held over the years at either Royal Hotel, The Royal George Hotel or The Rhinka
Proposal for Club House to be extended.
18 May 1907
First Opening Day
5 August 1908
Proposal to investigate scheme for new Club House
28 August 1908
Special Meeting to formally go ahead with new Club House
Midland Railway Company agreed to give £50.00 towards groundwork for new Club House
22 December 1908
The Club’s first Trustees were officially appointed
21 January 1909
Architects for new Club House to e Gregory & Hall (original drawing on wall beside General Room door)
Builders were the Dowther Brothers
6 March 1909
Cost of building Club House – £415.00 – Dowther Brothers agreed to give £15.00 for the old Club House (photograph on General Room wall)
Opening Day to be 5 June 1909
Proposal to change name of the Club to County Antrim Yacht Club due to large number of people who were members who also lived in Belfast.
15 March 1909
Proposal to change the burgee to blue pennant with a yellow Irish/Celtic cross
Fireplaces to cost £13.00 – Billiard Room (iron) and General Room (wood)
Billiard Table purchased for £75.00 (including fittings)
Cost to furnish the Club House – £65.00
ByeLaws – Club open from 9.00 a.m. – 11.15 p.m. except Sunday 12.00 p.m. – 9.00 p.m.
A Member shall not introduce the same visitor more than twice in any one year
Ladies only allowed in Club House until 7.00 p.m.
Billiard Table – tickets had to be purchased from the steward – no-one to get on the table
No card playing on a Sunday
3 June 1909
Boatman employed for 18 shillings per week
Steward employed for 15 shillings per week with an extra 2 shillings & sixpence for Sundays
9 June 1909
Paymaster General could not see his way to putting in a letter box as requested by the General Committee
Club fete – different amusements
Mr Bolton Waxworks and Shadographs
Mr A Wylie Hat-trimming and Box making
Mr John Hay “Aunt Sally”
Mr Gamble Ariel flight
Mr McCausland Hobby Horses
Antrim Artillery Band hired for 3 days for £15.00
Club tents supplied by Tedfords
R J McKeown MP Vice Commodore presented the Billiards Cup (this is currently played for each Christmas and is the longest running trophy in the Club)
First won by H Magill
McCalmont Trophy presented by Col. R.C.A. McCalmont DSO who succeeded his father as Commodore (1913-1924)
Todd Cup presented for Waverley Class by Robert G Todd who was to be Commodore 1925 – 1938
Yachtmen’s Cup presented by Sailing Members for Mid Week Points Races
Landmen’s Cup presented by Non-Sailing Members for Saturday Points Races
(At this time the Ulster G P for motor bikes could not be held at the same time as the Whitehead Regatta
Decided to hold a dance on Regatta Day in the evening and that an orchestra to be engaged for this purpose
The sleepers at the top of the slipway were having to be constantly replaced
Fees – Senior Members £1-11-6 Lady Members £0-5-0
Mr James Glover (Captain) indicated his intention to present a perpetual Rose Bowl for the Ladies Race – to be known as Empire Furnishing Company Rose Bowl
Boatman’s wages increased to £2.00 per week
Sailing Committee requisites £5.00 purchase of material and gear required for launching of yachts
One bottle of whiskey only to be issued from the bar for consumption nightly
Caretaker / Steward appointed at 30 shillings per week
£350.00 to pay for slip – Wm. Logan & Sons Ltd
No Member of the Club is to receive more than 1 glass of whiskey between 9.00 p.m. – 10.00 p.m. After 10.00 p.m. the whiskey to be given out until it is finished.
Permission given to purchase 1 dozen whiskey glasses
No visitors entitled to play in the card games
12 April 1946
James Magee proposed as a new Member
Sea Hawks admitted to the Club as a Class
Advert for the Club Punt in Belfast Telegraph – under £20.00
Purchase of 4 bats and 1 dozen balls for new diversion for the Ladies – Table Tennis
Public phone discussed, but deemed to be unwanted at this time
29 May 1950
Special Meeting held due to loss of ‘Fair Maid’ and crew. Sailing and social activities cancelled for 1 week.
John Wylie – founder Member died
Admiralty Chart of Belfast Lough displayed
Snooker Table recovered, re-cushioned and new pockets £64-19-6
6d per person per ½ hour
Hugh Kennedy purchased plans of GP 14 Class
Prompt closing of the bar at 11.30 p.m. was emphasized while all singing and noise was to be stopped at midnight
Upper part of slip completed in concrete – £130.00
Calwell Cup presented for GP 14 Class
Auld Cup presented for Juniors
Beach Road premises acquired
£300.00 to extend slip – shelved
Plans to fix balcony at a cost of £2346.00
Gates acquired for Beach Road – £15.00
Fencing acquired for Beach Road – £15.00
Royalty of 2 guineas to CAYC for plans of the Waverley
15 August 1963
Sara Annett joined the Club
Wooden steps at side of Club House replaced by concrete at a cost of £150.00
First Junior Committee to be formed
Table Tennis Table made for £5-12-6
1914-18 War Memorial Plaque moved to left hand side of fireplace
1939-45 War Memorial Plaque (new) moved to right hand side of the fireplace
Presented by Mr John McKendry
Wood carving presented by Mr John Henshaw
McCalmont Trophy was deemed to be irreplaceable. No valuation could be given and decision taken to keep it in the Bank all year round except for Captain’s Night. (The trophy has now been valued at approx. £25,000)
Rails on slip to cost £39.00
Waterproof cover for the snooker table cost £9-10-0
Framing of architects’ original drawing completed
Installation of pay phone
First Aid kit purchased
Moveable bar purchased for £90.00 (still used every Regatta Day as an outside bar facility)
Request made for Double Diamond draught beer at bar was made although there was some opposition from the Guinness drinkers
Klaxon horn presented to Club by Mr Gerry Easton (still used for Points Racing)
First inflatable Rescue Boat purchased
New slip completed
Workman Trophy presented to the Club by J R Workman from RNIYC for the Lake Class which were now being sailed at CAYC
Electric winch finally in position
George Thomas joined the Club
Cable Hut sold to the Club for £500.00
Purchase of 4 Olympic Marks £21.92 each with the moorings extra
Proposal that a Commodore’s Board be put in place pending verification of valid information. (This was subsequently completed in January 1991)
Increase in membership subscription to £7.50 for Ordinary Members
Proposal for snooker team to join the Larne & District Snooker League
Proposal for building changing rooms passed.
Proposal to purchase Dory for £1340 + Vat @ 12 ½ % less 12 ½% discount including engine
First Gaming Machine installed
Glass washer purchased for the bar
Harry McKee joined the Club
Neville Hack Trophy presented to the Club by Mrs Hack
Laser Rose Bowl presented to Irish Laser Association (Ulster Branch)
Consideration for extension of bar area
Purchase of new Rescue Boat – £900.00 to fix old one. Cost of Sea Rider £1500.00
Harry McKee to arrange for extension of bar store
D J Elwood joined the Club
New cash register – £550.00 less allowance for old register of £50.00
Letter received from D J Elwood re. Break in to the Club. Lost all his tapes – Committee decided that he should be totally reimbursed.
Successful European Scorpion Championships held at the Club
General Room finally refurbished
Voluntary bar staff took control of bar for a period of 1 year to improve financial position of the Club
Six ‘Optimists’ were purchased via a Sports Council grant. These small craft have been a tremendous success in encouraging young sailors in the Club to ‘have a go’. The Optimist Class are single handers ideal for juniors in the 5-15 year old bracket though in reality most move into the Mirror or Topper Classes by the age of 12/13.
John Lewis and Roger Kernaghan sailing ‘Roobarb’ won the Irish Scorpion Championships after an intensive two year campaign. A major accolade for the Club.
Club receives Royal Patronage: H.R.H Duke of York
The ‘Flying Fifteen’ Class began to develop when Sheela Lewis purchased ‘Charley Brown’. This was subsequently followed by Jim Rankin in ‘Blue Moon’ and Shane Haveron in ‘Bonnie’. Laser class consists of at least 20 boats.
A very successful Ulster Laser Championship attracted 70 boats and this was sponsored by Northern Bank. Brian Erskine, North East Regional Manager at the time and former Club member, presented the prizes and recollected some memorable times at the Club re-establishing many old friendships.
The Club hosted the Ulster Laser Championships which had an entry of 94 boats. This stands as a record for any provincial championship ever held for the Laser Class in Ireland.
The Flying 15 fleet had increased to six and was continuing to attract new interest. The RYA courses continue to be successful with growing numbers of Juniors.
The ‘Topper’ Class began to develop with five boats actively racing and attending regattas. Junior members have included Chris Moore, Sarah Moore, Graeme McKenzie, Deborah-Ann Perry and Patrick Smyth. The juniors are seen as the life blood of the Club in the years ahead.
The Commodore, Mr Harry Carse and 3 guests are invited to a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace.
Fourteen Flying15’s were registered at the Club. The sight of many masts in the bay and a huge turnout during points racing on Monday and Wednesday nights was very encouraging. Peter Waugh, Des McKendry, Tim Taylor, and Stephen Canning in addition to those mentioned above have had extremely close racing in this very competitive class. In order to keep costs under control and provide fair sailing only old boats under sail number 2660 are allowed to compete.
A number of the juniors entered the Irish Topper Championships with a reasonable degree of success.
Many of the senior members with young families are clearly determined to provide boats for their children to encompass the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) training courses which have been held at the Club during the last 4/5 years. This commitment will ensure the survival of CAYC. The Club is now a recognised training centre under the RYA scheme.
Top of Form
Bottom of Form
Keith Black ends his two years as Commodore, one of the longest standing members to have sat on Committee. (One short break off Committee and he is still doing it…Bar Convener 2000 and in 2001 Sailing Secretary)
Sheela Lewis is voted onto Committee as First “Madam” Commodore
“New Slip” has major renovation work carried out, £12,000. Club members are levied and many offer an additional donation. Also £1,000 donation received from a “Business contact” No loan was required.
July & August 2001
Record number of RYA courses run at the Club.
Another successful Raft Race, £1000 donated to the RNLI
Snooker Team win 3rd Division Larne & District League
Centenary Regatta, well attended approx 70 yachts. A beautiful morning of sailing, followed by a fog bound afternoon with racing abandoned. Fortunately there were results from the first round of all classes participating.
Centenary Formal Dinner Dance.
Quality Hotel, Carrickfergus : 25th October 2002 the Club is 100 years old to the Day !